5 Everyday Household Things That Are Toxic For Dogs

As human beings, we know what we should and should not put in our mouths. When it comes to pets, it’s a different story. Despite the closeness dog owners share with their furry friends, they still see the world from a different perspective.

Dogs use their mouths a lot to learn about things around them. That’s not a bad thing, but it can be dangerous if they encounter a hazard before we can stop them. It can happen in an instant, so it’s best to be proactive and ensure that your home is safe for your beloved canine companion. The following list outlines 5 everyday household things that are toxic for dogs.

Five Things That are Toxic For Dogs


Bowl Of Chocolates On White Background

Chocolate is probably the most well-known of doggy dangers found in the average household. This one is especially important to remember around the holidays when sweet things are usually eaten in higher quantities. If you have children, make sure they understand that they cannot leave chocolate sitting around. It is up to the parent to supervise and ensure that they follow through.

Chocolate isn’t good, but just because your dog ate a small piece of it doesn’t necessarily mean they are going to die. The confection can cause seizures, irregular heartbeat, and death when ingested in large quantities. The amount the dog can tolerate is determined based on the type and amount of chocolate eaten and your dog’s body weight.

The safest route to take is not to allow your pet to have any chocolate of any kind, regardless of body weight or health status. While they may beg for it, it’s not something that they would naturally eat. If your dog acts like they want some chocolate, try giving them a dog-friendly treat like cheese, meat, or carrots.


Medications Spilling Out Of A Glass

Just like with children, all medications should be kept up and away from your pets. That includes both prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Even common products that you use are dangerous to dogs. Acetaminophen is a good example because it is found in many medications including Tylenol, Mucinex, Alka-Seltzer Plus, Sudafed, Nyquil, Robitussin, and other popular drug brands. Acetaminophen causes moderate to severe liver damage in dogs and cats. Death from a single 325 mg tablet can occur, especially in smaller animals.

It’s best to have an assigned place to store all medications and related products. This should ideally be a place with a door that latches, like a medicine cabinet or closet. Never leave pills or pill bottles sitting out on furniture where your pet may have access to it.


Man Pouring Antifreeze Into Car

If you own a vehicle, then you probably have a jug of antifreeze sitting in your garage or somewhere in your house. Sadly, as many as 90,000 animals are poisoned due to antifreeze ingestion annually. They typically access it by drinking from open jugs left out or spilled antifreeze on driveways and garage floors. This ranks among one of the most common forms of poisoning in pets.

Antifreeze can leak out of vehicles from radiators, so it could be on the ground without you realizing it. It is best to keep animals away from areas where antifreeze could be found. Always securely close containers and put them up and away. Also, clean any spills you notice and make a point to regularly check for new spills or leaks under and around vehicles or places where you may work on or store your vehicle.

Also, remember that dogs that like to escape and explore the neighborhood could come in contact with antifreeze on a neighbor’s property. You should never let your pet run loose while unattended no matter how friendly they may be or how reliably they return home.

Flea & Tick Products

Dog Getting Flea And Tick Prevention Medication

Flea and tick products are made for dogs, so what could go wrong? These insecticides protect your pet from pests and the diseases they carry, but they can be dangerous if not properly applied and handled. Always follow instructions on the label and never let your pet play with the packaging. Improper use or application of a sub-par product could cause severe reactions like vomiting, seizures, and difficulty breathing. This type of toxicity can be fatal.

Only use the recommended dose for the appropriate pet. Also, make sure you are buying a safe product. Those found on shelves in pet stores or online may be questionable. It is a good idea to buy flea and tick products directly from a veterinarian. They can guarantee that the product is safe, authentic, and not old or expired.

Foods That Are Bad for Dogs

Dog Surrounded By Toxic Foods For Canines

As much as we love to share with our pets, there are some people foods that are not safe for dogs. Your pet should never be allowed to eat raisins, currants, or grapes. These foods can cause kidney failure. Even a small amount of grape juice can cause severe problems or worse. Other foods to never give your pet include almonds, cinnamon, garlic, onions, macadamia nuts, and avocados.

Medical Distress in Dogs

There are a number of signs of medical distress in dogs, including:

  • Difficulty breathing or rapid breathing
  • Frequent or prolonged coughing
  • Diarrhea and vomiting, especially with blood or dark stool
  • Seizures, tremors, or unusual spasms
  • Lethargy and fatigue
  • Bluish skin and/or gums

If you notice any of these or other unusual symptoms and behaviors, contact your vet immediately. A quick response could save your pet’s life if they ingest something toxic or harmful.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments